Swimmers of the Meet

Molly Gustafson

What initially attracted me to Wittenberg?
The first thing that really stood out to me on my recruiting visit was how friendly the people were. Everyone I met was very easy to approach and genuinely interested in talking to me. Even the people I didn’t know would say hello to me in passing, which didn’t happen much at other schools. After my visit I knew that there would be no problem fitting in, because every person I met was unique and there was such great diversity in personality and background. There was never a dull moment, and I loved it.

What is my favorite and least favorite stroke?

My favorite stroke is elementary backstroke and/or mermaid dives, but since those aren’t exactly official strokes I guess I’ll have to settle and say breaststroke. My least favorite stroke is freestyle (when I have to swim more than a 50).

Do I have any hobbies?
My hobbies include playing soccer (with swimmers), skiing, blowing bubbles on the bikini bottom, recycling, painting, participating in activities in the hollow, living in the Ferncliff mansion, throwing bananas at Bob Rafferty, playing with the service dogs around campus, listening to Stereo Love before and after races, undergoing retail therapy after long practices, fun rides in the Party Safari, and mainly just being alone and eating oatmeal cream pies.

What are you majoring in?
I am planning on majoring in Zoology and double minoring in Extraterrestrial studies and French… just kidding. I’m possibly majoring in either English or Psychology with a minor in Art.

What is your favorite thing about Wittenberg?
My favorite thing about Wittenberg is the supportive community.. this time I’m not kidding. Being from Connecticut I’m not able to go home very often so it is very nice to know that there are people all around me who care. Whether it is a professor, coach, teammate, classmate, sorority sister or friend, I always know where to go if I have a problem. I also feel that having such a close community allows the student body to easily get involved. There are always opportunities to start new clubs or events and chances are likely that it wont be hard to find someone else with a common interest.

Any stories about the team?
Every time the song “Firework” by Katie Perry comes on the entire girls (and some of the boys) team starts to belt it out as loud as possible.

Did I travel anywhere this summer or is there anything unique about me?
Last summer I stayed home but in past years I have traveled to countries such as England, France, Spain, Austria, Slovenia and Italy for various reasons. This summer I will be traveling to Lesotho, Africa for a service trip through Wittenberg and I am so excited for the new experience! There are several other swimmers going as well as swimmers who have gone on this trip in the past.

Keaton Hannon

I was initially attracted to Wittenberg by the team atmosphere and Coach Koukis.

My favorite stroke is butterfly and my least favorite stroke is breaststroke.

Do I have any hobbies?
My hobbies are singing, playing in the rain, and hanging out with friends.

What are you majoring in?
I am majoring in Biology.

My favorite thing about Witt is all the people! also really like when the leaves all change in the fall :)

Did you travel anywhere this summer or is there anything unique about me?

I went abroad this fall to Australia and had the time of my life (but I miss swimming terribly)

Chris Culkin

The strong biology program along with the ability to compete in the fastest conference in Division III

Wait, so there are other strokes other than free?

Do I have any hobbies?
Watching my favorite team, The Detroit Red Wings, and working on my 1966 Mustang

What are you majoring in?
(B.S) Biology

The Biology program

Any stories about the team?
Our bus had a flat tire on our way home from a meet this season.  We were stuck some where for a few hours and the team had a pine cone fight.

Although I did not travel anywhere, I spent my summer volunteering at the local hospital

Gus Appenbrink

I was initially attracted to wittenberg because my sister was attending witt. when i came to visit her i really liked the campus and decided to come back in the fall as a student.

Do you have any hobbies?
My hobbies include trap shooting and avidly watching spongebob

What are you majoring in?

I am majoring in political science and possibly east asian studies.

What is you favorite thing about Wittenberg?
my favorite thing about wittenberg is how much there is to do on campus especially when it is warm out.