Our work began on May 13th with a two day surface survey of Lot 3777.
In order to gather a good sample of the surface debris found on the site, we laid out a grid of 8 x 30 meters. Students collected materials in 1 x 1 meter sections and documented the number of finds recovered from each section.
After the intensive surface survey we laid out a 6 x 6 excavation area on the east side of the lot, facing N. Wittenberg Avenue. The area sits between two tress that flanked the original entrance to the house until the remodeling in 1936.
We divided the area into three units of 2 x 6 meters to begin excavations. The first step was the removal of the sod after a heavily rain. We screened the sod and then prepared for the first excavation scrape across the units.
Using handpicks and trowels, students worked over the source of three days to remove 10-15 cm of soil from the units. Entangling their efforts, literally, are spider webs of roots from the two trees on either side of the units.
Students complete daily excavation logs, enter data into the site's locus sheet field notebook, and sorted finds for further examination.