Some Final Words from Chris Browning…

Thursday July 22nd – I can’t believe that today is our last day at work as we head back to Springfield early tomorrow morning. Our time up here flew by as it feels like yesterday we just moved our belongings into the South Fork Suites and getting situated in the office. As the program comes to an end after the picnic later today, I have a few comments about the program itself. Through the LGIMP, I was able to be immersed in local government rather than just a “center” or “research facility”; therefore, I was on the “front-lines” of the decisions made by local government on a daily basis. The program also improved my time management as we had to juggle work with class. As a result, I had to work from 8 to 5 at City Hall and then have class twice a week for an hour and a half as well as the homework which went along with the class. The excursions were awesome as I never thought I would ever get to make it to Mt. Rushmore or Custer State Park. I also gained valuable experience working independently with little to no supervision on some very important projects which will be used to make tough decisions down the road. My projects—the “Bird City” project, Library Staffing Analysis, and research on award programs for local governments—will make a direct impact on the city and lay the groundwork for future interns to do a project similar to “Bird City”. After this program, I definitely feel a strong desire to get a M.P.A./M.P.P. along with a J.D. I would like to thank the City of River Falls, Dr. Ankrom, Dr. Baker, and my parents who made this experience possible. Thanks to everyone who has been following the blog and it saddens me to say that this will be my last entry. “Stay Classy River Falls!”

Chris